Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pregnancy Update/Wives-tale Gender Predictions

We're officially a couple weeks into the 3rd trimester which is absolutely crazy! Time really is passing super quickly! We are so excited to meet this little baby and are trying to wrap our heads around having a baby of our OWN in just a short 10 weeks! The belly is impossible to hide and I am definitely past the stage where people don't really comment- everywhere we go and at least 10 times a day at work I am involved in some sort of baby conversation surrounding when I am due, whether I am carrying low or high, people's guesses on gender, and stories of random people's birthing experiences and/or pictures of children and grandchildren. It's amazing how a pregnant belly can bond complete strangers! I enjoy it though and everyone has been so nice, supportive, and excited... even if I literally JUST met them for 5 minutes!

Also, since we have decided to wait until baby's big arrival into the world to find out if we have a baby boy or girl on our hands, I've been extra into "baby predictions" that come with many different old wives-tales. I've been keeping a personal blog for baby (aka an online baby book for easy printing... haha oh the technology generation) but thought this was fun and that I would share it here as well:

Here are some of the fun/weird wive-tales predictions we have done and what they predict Baby Leo will be:

  • Ring test: BOY
  • Chinese Calendar: GIRL
  • Carrying low (boy) vs high (girl): NA. or BOY? I swear I'm in the middle/this baby takes up every inch from pelvis to ribs! But I have heard recently several people who say I am carrying low... so maybe boy has the edge here?
  • Basketball (boy) or watermelon (girl): GIRL
  • Cravings: NA- I've definitely eaten a lot more sweets while pregnant, but still love my salty snacks... basically I just like eating. A lot.
  • Heartbeat (140 and below = boy; 140+ = girl)= GIRL. Heartbeat is currently 156 bpm
  • Morning sickness: GIRL. They say if you have pretty bad morning sickness it is a sign of girl and I'd say throwing up until 16 weeks was pretty rough!
  • Breakouts: BOY. I think I've actually had less breakouts while pregnant! Can't complain about that!
  • Mayan Legend: GIRL (determined a baby's sex by looking at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy). 
  • Linea nigra: BOY (If you get a linea nigra and it runs from your pubic area to your belly button only, it’s a girl, and if it goes all the way up from your pubic area to the bottom-most part of you rib cage, then it’s a boy.) 
  • Hairy legs?? (yes = boy; no= girl)- NA. Started out faster then around 25 weeks practically has stopped growing all together!  
So looks like GIRL has a little bit of an edge but BOY definitely isn't too far behind and for some I really feel like it's a 50-50 split. Soooo.. really all this highlights is how we really have NO CLUE and no way of really finding out until this babe makes it's appearance. So until then... bring on the baby bets, I love hearing everyone's guesses!
Do we have a Mini Nick or Mini Lindsey on the way!?!? Only 10 weeks until we know... either way, I have to say this child will be pretty adorbs! Not to toot our own horns or anything.... ;)

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your updates!!!! I remember the first week we got to Grenada, Matt and I were walking around Grand Anse and some random local stopped me, pointed at my belly, and said, "You're having a girl. I know it. I can see it on your face. That is a baby girl." Maybe you should come find that random local because well, he was right on!!!! Hahaha :) Can't wait to meet little Leo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for reading, Joanna!!! Omgosh that is hilarious and I can so totally picture a random local walking up to you and telling you that! Hysterical! I am getting SUPER curious, so I'd love to track him down!! The guesses were very heavily girl for the first half of my pregnancy but in the last month I've heard ALL boy! We'll find out so soon! Love following your little family's adventures! Elora is too cute for words and getting SO big! Hope you guys are doing great!

      Delete
  2. These are so great, Lindsey! haha. Man.. Did you look up all of these old wives tales, or have people been telling you these?! You've got it going, girl! haha. It's so cool!! I'm completely impressed and a little baffled by all of these things. haha. I'm pretty excited to meet this baby girl or boy, soon!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Tammy, you wouldnt BELIEVE how many are out there! Some others just take too much effort or were too odd for me to even attempt- like... mixing draino with your urine.... sounds safe.... Some of them other people brought up to me/Ive heard over the years but then since I knew some existed I went on a search for as many as I could find hoping it would crack the mystery that is our child's gender... but alas... it is the one secret that cannot be figured out until I pop the child out!!! Hope Grenada is treating you well and you are re-adjusting to the heat! We had a heatwave today and hit 33 degrees! :)

      Delete