Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Miss I smart!"

Over the summer  Nick's mom took us to the largest flee market I have ever seen. Tents and goodies were everywhere and the prices for things couldn't be beat. There were sundresses galore, tons of random nick-nacks, and just lots of great stuff. But I hit the goldmine in the dollar store of all tents. This tent had the most random assortment of things ever.. for a dollar or less!!  It was great!! Instantly, my mind went one place- Limes.

In a matter of minutes my arms (and Nick's) were loaded with more things than they could hold. Card games. Flashcards. Dry erase doodle/alaphabet/number boards, bouncy balls, coloring books, activity books, crayons, and 60 toothbrushes. I probably would never have moved on from that tent if it weren't for the one minor issue of needing to transport all my new found goodies back to Grenada! I was so excited to take them to Limes the first day and ever since have taken my bag of "new goodies" with me each week. It is so fun to see their eyes light up during a game of Uno and to see them practice their writing on the alphabet boards. I have also been beyond amazed at how well they have (for the most part) shared these new things with each other, sat in a circle and played cards together (with minimal arguing) and their enthusiasm to learn and show off with the flashcards. I just love it!
Cutie pants! So in love with that smile!
Bradley scheming at Uno! I love watching him smile and laugh playing this game!
Jada the silly head!
Adore them! Sassiness and all!
Miss Katie and sweet Kyle girl :) Love her representin' with the Limes shirt!
We continue to be blessed with a ton of volunteers at Limes. I can't say enough how much of difference it makes and how incredibly awesome it is. Not only that, but our new volunteers are all so great with kids, many bring teaching backgrounds to the table, and so it has been fun to have so many new ideas and bodies around! Today, one of our teachers, Miss Nicci, sat and played a game with addition/subtraction flashcards with a group of boys for almost a full hour... a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Several times during the game one would come up to me and say "Miss, I smart!" then proudly tell me the answer to the problem on the card.  It was so cute! I love seeing them not only having so much fun, but learning at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment