Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Medical school student in da house!

I've mentioned before that Nick is currently taking a class commonly referred to as CPD, which stands for Communication Skills and Physical Diagnosis.  This class is interesting because it actually allows the students to start learning and practicing basic physical exams, assessments, and evaluations on each other and (paid actor) patients..... and in our case... Nick gets to practice on me.

For the past several evenings Nick has come home from studying on campus a couple hours early, and our house has turned into Dr. Leo's medical office. He runs through these general assessments- obtaining vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature), checks for jugular venous pressure and pulsation, checks peripheral vascular system (using tests such as: Allen’s test, Buerger’s test, a manual compression test,  Pratt test and Homan sign), does examinations on the ear, nose, and sinuses (using tests such as the Whisper test and sinus transillumination).... you get the idea. Lots of fun, real life doctor stuff- with real doctor tools. He continues to impress me with his ever growing knowledge and seeing him apply it is fun... plus, it appears that according to these tests, other than needing stronger contact lenses (sad day when you fail a vision test that is supposed to just be for practice) I appear to be healthy and regularly functioning!

So, while seeing him act all professional is all super fun and cute, when he announced he was coming home to test out some skills on me the other night- more specifically the ears/nose/throat skills, I was a little less than enthused... see, I am currently battling a cold. Awesome. It's already a little weird to spend my night having my fiance looking up my nose or in my ears- let alone on a night when I am a bit under the weather... But, he is going to be quizzed on these assessments soon, so in true medical school spirit, the exams went on! Weird or not, a passing grade is definitely more important than him not being prepared due to the possibility of wax in my ears or boogers in my nose.

Yep, getting married to a doctor-in-training sure is a romantic.



1 comment:

  1. I love the title! It probably makes it easier for him since he can practice on you. This makes it easier when he does so with the paid actors, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete