Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Aquatic rescue mission

Just another day in our battle against bugs? No. Not so much.

We recently realized that the ants are nested in our ceiling and therefore the previous spray had not been as effective as it could have been since they only sprayed the floor. So after attempting to get the pesticide people out here for days (with us always missing them because they never come at the time they say they will come) they randomly showed up yesterday and thankfully this time I was home.

However, for the life of me, I cannot understand the one guy when he talks. He talks super fast, doesn't move his lips, and mumbles. The conversation consists of him talking and me nodding and say "yeah" (unless he looks appalled at that answer, then I quickly change it "no.") Anyways, after about 45 minutes of this, they seemed to be done, and the other guy who had been running around the outside of the house doing who knows what- comes in and asks for 2 plastic bags. Seemed a bit random, but hey why not- I gave them to him. Then he asks if I would mind him leaving his shirt on my back porch. This seemed strange so I had him repeat himself, and that still didn't seem right so I simply said "sure." 

Well- I had heard correctly. The next thing I know I look out our window and see him without his shirt on running down toward the water. And a minute after that, he was down to his whitey tighty style undies. Only in Grenada. They were far down near the water and so I simply laughed and chose to continue about my day leaving the pest control guys to whatever it was they were up to (and of course quickly jumped on the computer to inform Nick of the latest TIG moment.) They continued in whatever it was they were doing for a good 40 minutes, and so I eventually stopped watching and continued on with laundry etc. So the next time I looked out, I saw the one guy on a rock kind of far out in the water. Hmm they must be fishing maybe? I still wasn't sure. After a couple minutes however,  I heard the guy on the rock yelling to the other one, and his tone just sounded different to me. So I poked my head out our back door and yelled to an older man who was with them and who stayed back a ways and was just spectating if everything was okay. I expected it would be and that as usual I was just not hearing them right and that they were just yelling about fish or something... but for peace of mind, just wanted to make sure. Well, much to my surprise, the man responded with a panicked "NO, NO, DIS IS NOT OKAY!" 

Turns out the one guy was not fishing or playing on the rock, but rather a wave had come and knocked him into the water- and no, he could not swim, but had somehow managed to climb himself onto the rock out in the water, but was now stuck there. Great. So after running to where I could yell to the guy on the rock (I found out his name was Dave) and making sure he was okay enough for me to run and get other people I ran and got our neighbors Dan and Dana, Kimoni (our Grenadian neighbor who lives across the street), and Kerrie.  When we got back our other neighbors and Dr. Sobering were also on their way down to help. Kimoni took one look at the situation and informed me he could not swim and that he was "very nervous" so I told him to watch for Nick (who thankfully was on his way home) and to send him down as soon as he got off the bus. 

After some quick problem solving Nick and Dr. Sobering grabbed their surfboard and hopped in the water to swim out to perform the aquatic rescue.  Poor Dave was pretty terrified and exhausted from holding onto the rock while continually getting pummeled with large wave after large wave- and was literally holding on for his life. Luckily, despite being panicked he followed directions very well and was able to stay calm, which made it much easier to get him out. When he was back with us on "shore" I asked if he wanted to sit down for a second, to which he quickly responded "no, I want to get away from de water." I think that will be the last time for quite awhile that he goes anywhere near the ocean without knowing for sure he won't get tossed in. 

So thankful for the speedy response of all the neighbors who helped get him out of the water. There is no doubt that without everyone's help the outcome would not have been such a good one. Also, very thankful for the many years of swimming lessons. 


1 comment: