Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Limes my loves :)

Yesterday was my last day at Limes until fall. Waaah! Gonna miss those kids so much!! I was hoping to go today as well, but by the time I finished errands and made some food, there was just no way it was going to happen. Not to mention I am trying to finish up everything around the house today so that I can relax tomorrow and for the most part just enjoy my last day here for a couple months.

Anyways, as always, the kids were cute and hilarious and to make it even better everyone was really well behaved... even Miguel one of our more rambunctious kids got a sticker for good behavior!! It was seriously a big day! I knew there was a chance that yesterday would be my last day, so I was just trying to take in as much cuteness as I could, and of course get some pictures of their silly faces - especially the little ones, who I feel are going to grow a ton over the next 2 months and not be so "babyish" when I see them next.  I just want them to stay little FOREVER!!! I asked Jada if she was going to get big while I was gone, and she said "nope." If only that were true. But I know they will always continue to be super cute sillies- just with extra sass and opinions on everything...

I also asked Jada if she wanted to come home with me and she said "yep" and that she was wanted to play in the snow. That would probably be hilarious. These kids know nothing other than heat and Laura, one of the other volunteers said they get super excited over the AC in her car... so I can only imagine their reaction to snow. I told her it wasn't winter so there would probably be no snow in Michigan anyways, but she was not convinced... she said to bring it back as a present. Yeah, we'll see about that Jada girl... how about a necklace instead. 

One heartbreaking but bonding moment was when Tammy was coloring with one of the girls and telling her about how her daughter was going to come and visit because she loves playing with kids. The sweet little girl looks at her and asks "does she even like playing with little black kids?" So precious and cute, but so heartbreaking that even at 8 years old they are aware of the differences and discrepancies in race.  Tammy did an excellent job explaining to her that we love all children and that we don't pay attention to skin color. While explaining this Tammy used crayons as an example pointing out that the white crayon did not match her own skin, and asked her if the black crayon was a perfect match to her own skin. The little girl said no, and this led to further discussion about the topic and how everyone looks a little different and it isn't just black and white. I thought this was a very creative and touching way to explain it and immediately following the explanation the little girl cuddled up to Tammy with a smile on her face. So sweet! How could they not melt our hearts?? Great job Tammy! It's moments like these that really warm my heart.

I will miss them sooo much over the summer, but am thankful I know I get to come back and spend another year with them. I am definitely not ready to leave for good yet, and my heart goes out to the volunteers who are at that point. The SO organization does such great things for these kids and the SO coordinators work so hard to keep it running smoothly. Sadly this semester both of our coordinators are leaving, but I know they will forever be in the hearts of these kids and we see that every day as the kids ask about old teachers who showed them so much love! 

Oh Jada girl.... I need to take her home with me I think. I just love her too much. 
Isn't he so cute? He loves to color, but not  by himself.  
So silly all the time!!! I was so happy to have a smile out of her though... now just gotta work on the eyes open... at the same time... <3 
Yay! Probably the most she's ever cooperated for a picture! She was busy telling me to bring her back lots of "tings" so she must have been trying to butter me up. It worked.  
Need to take her home as well. LOVE THIS FACE! Seriously, it does not get any more cute than this. 
She's so sweet, I can't even stand it. 
Melts my heart. Over and over and over again.  
Skippin' 
I literally laugh every time I look at this picture. What a goofball. 
My boyfriend. Add him to the list that are coming home with me. I can't get enough of him. 

I already can't wait to come back at the end of June and squeeze them!! 

1 comment:

  1. That is the sweetest thing about Tammy. I missed that conversation. She is so great with these kids! They will all miss you dearly and be so excited to see us when we get back! Can't wait! Hope to have a beach day to kick off the next term :) My grandmother found this stuff that you just add water too and it makes snow...I am going to see if I can find it. The kids would go crazy!!

    ReplyDelete