Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homeward bound. Brief update.

My last week in Grenada literally flew by. I was busy running all around trying to get things ready to leave and trying to soak up every bit of the island life before leaving for 2 months. I successfully completed all errands and chores, however at the expense of some time in the sun =/ But that's okay, I still came home plenty tan!

2 nights before leaving I "helped" Nick study for one of his classes. And by helped, I mean I was his patient. He has to know all the cranial nerves and be able to run simple tests in order to access them, and so I was his practice dumbie. It was really cool to see the tests and to see him quickly (and easily)perform them. And whew, I passed them all with flying colors... literally, after having him look into my eye with a light thing. Before he started that test, I was bragging about how my eye doctor always tells me I should be an eye model, and so it was hilarious when he pulled out the light and was like "I SEE IT... whoa! Cool!" He confirmed that my fundus (or whatever it is) is indeed very clearly visible and easy to see. He said it had been hard for him to see it on models before, so he was so excited about it. Yay, I helped! 

As part of the test, the students were paired up and had to perform the tests on each other and were expected to be professional and act as they would with a patient. So this meant instead of gym shorts and a shirt, he left in the morning all decked out to the 9s and with his white coat in his bag. I just love when he's all fancy and professional and doctorish so I made him go outside for some pictures before he ran out the door.... he was such a good sport!


 .... and come on, how cute is the future Dr. Leo? How could I not take a picture!! 


So, how do you prepare to leave your med student on the brink of finals madness?? Well, you stock up on food and thus, I've spent the past week cooking, cooking, cooking!! Lasagna-check, meatloaf- in progress, stirfry- check, chili-check, cereal-check, eggs-check, milk-check, juice-check, snack bars- check... While I am sure it won't last him the full 18 days, it should help make it easier.  Plus, it's not that I think he can't do it on his own, I know he can, but navigating the busses during finals time is stressful.  It takes an hour or a little more to take the bus, get home and make something to eat, and turn around and head back to school (and longer, if he wanted to eat after  6:30pm and was left at the mercy of the off route bus) and so it is just a lot easier if he can grab lunch and dinner in the morning and go. Finals are stressful enough! But I have to say, he's pretty spoiled rotten! :) 
Last walking to the store trip for a couple months! 
My trip home went verb smoothly, and even the 8 hour layover in Miami went by relatively quickly. I think I am just getting used to it as I have a long Miami layover every single time. It feels good to be home! Now just need Nick to get through these next 2 weeks, kick butt on finals, and get on home too!

No comments:

Post a Comment