Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

longing for a paycheck

Just out of curiosity I did a job search today.
The good news is, there were several jobs I'd love to apply for.
Seriously, so many that are very, very up my ally.
The bad news is, I can't apply for them.

One more year and then we will be back in the States.
Better yet, and fingers crossed, back in Michigan.
Also fingers crossed, these jobs will still exist.

Being the SO to a medical student is not always easy.
It is taking thousands of dollars you have in student loans and moving.
Moving to a place where you don't get a paycheck, and the interest on your loans keep rising.
It's waiting almost 2 years to see all your hardwork pay off in the form of dollar bills.
And it is counting pennies until then.

Yes, this past year has been filled with sacrifices.
and honestly, I think it is important not to overlook them.
It is important to recognize and remember that we as SOs deserve careers and lives outside of our student's medical career.
It is equally important that the student's themselves recognize the sacrifices it takes on our part as well.
We go through every step of the process with them...
and we feel the stress of an empty bank account, the constantly rising loan payments...
and living in Grenada- sometimes the helplessness of being unable to provide a paycheck to help counter our many expenses.
But, we do all of this willingly...
With a smile on our face, an unfaltering belief in their dream, and admiration for their hard work and dedication.

This period of our life is temporary.
And when the stress seems overwhelming I try to remind myself of this.
I try to remember that we will somehow get by, and that this journey would be much more challenging for him without me.
And that even though these many jobs tempt me to want to snatch them up and stay in the States for the sake of the paycheck associated with it...
That we will survive the next year financially, that in a year I will be able to get a job, and that slowly we will start to dig ourselves out of this debt we have accumulated.
Not to mention... there are 50 Limes kids in Grenada that I can't wait to be reunited with and who will quickly help lessen the financial burden that is currently crushing down on my shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment