Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

7 Sisters Waterfalls!!!

 I have been wanting to do the 7 Sisters Waterfall hike and falls jump since before Nick actually stepped foot in Grenada. When researching the island I heard all about it and decided then that I just had to do it! Well, today it finally happened!!! And, it was even better than I had hoped for, and let me tell you- I had high hopes!


7 Sisters is located in Grand Etang National Park.  It takes about 45 minutes to get there, and although the roads are very steep at times, the drive is a pretty easy one :) Once there you pay 5 E.C and if you want to jump the falls you need to get a local guide to help you. This is very important, as without proper guidance, jumping the falls can absolutely be dangerous!

The hike to the falls is a pretty easy one, mostly downhill, but also very muddy!! We stopped at The Honeymoon Falls on the way, which is not one you can jump, but is SO gorgeous and you can swim in the pool of water at the bottom. The water is sooo refreshing and awesome!

When jumping the falls you have to either commit to be all in or out. There is really no in between. Once you get to the top, the only way down is to jump the falls... all of them. They are each uniquely different with some being higher than others, some requiring you to adjust the way you fall because the pool of water isn't that deep, etc.  It's such an adrenaline rush! I was so excited that I didn't even give anyone else the chance to go first, I just volunteered myself and took the first leap of faith :)

Our guide was AWESOME, and carefully instructed us of where to stand, how to fall, and what spots to avoid. Although it was definitely scary at times, I did feel safe through the whole thing and can not wait to do it again!

The highest waterfall is 35 feet tall and if you want to get down, it is one you have to jump! There is really no way to explain the feeling of looking down 35 feet into water and knowing that you are about to free fall all the way down... Not to mention the jump is high enough that you have time to register "wow I am still in the air" while falling, and register the pounding and power of the water behind you! Again... it was awesome!!

5 of us did all 7 jumps and I am so glad we did and so proud of everyone! It definitely wasn't easy, but it was so worth it! Definitely one of the most fun things I've done in Grenada so far... well, really ever in my life!

Took lots of pictures (of course) and our friend Naomi did not jump, but the tallest fall is at the end of the jumps so she was able to get a few pictures of us doing the biggun! Check them out below!

My 35 ft jump!
Nick's 35 ft jump!
Honeymoon Falls!!! Before going in :) Pretty right?!
Oh ya know, just hanging out under a waterfall :) Life. Is. Good!
Honeymoon Falls
What did you do today? Oh we just woke up drove a short ways and were surrounded my all this beauty! Pretty unbelievable!

Group shot of the jumpers at the top of the 7 water falls :)
Zach doing the jump where you had to land like you were sitting in a chair since it was only approximately 5 ft deep!

Top picture is of the jumpers with our guide "Super butterfly" and the bottom is all of our hiking friends!
Oh, and my camera made every, single jump with us and is no worse for the wear! Seriously, best investment EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment