Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Butter Drought

Close to a month ago I went to IGA as normal on a Friday morning. In the dairy aisle I picked up my milk and eggs, scanned the cheese and stared at the butter. I couldn't remember if we were getting low in the butter department or not at home. After debating for a couple minutes I grabbed some and continued on with my day.

We don't use butter that often and when we do it's usually in pretty small doses, so butter lasts us a long time! But a couple weeks after the above mentioned purchase of butter, I was informed that people were having trouble finding butter ANYWHERE in Grenada. When I told them I had just gotten some a week or so ago, they were astounded.

In retrospect, thank goodness I ignorantly decided to buy butter that day because there is currently NO butter to be found in Grenada. As a matter of fact, I could be the last person to have been lucky enough to purchase some- and at the time I didn't even know it!

Living on an island continues to crack me up. I can now officially cross "surviving a butter drought" off my bucket list.

.... but I was in "American Girl Doll Club" when growing up and we learned to make butter by rigorously shaking cream in a jar... maybe there is a work opportunity in all this... people seem to be going pretty nuts after a month without a common household cooking item.... hmm..

***** UPDATE*****
 Made my own butter today! Partially, because we need some for our fish recipe this weekend and partially to see if I still remembered how. GREAT SUCCESS! Took 10 minutes and tastes better than store bought butter! Take that Grenada butter shortage :) Haha Just a day in the life of Lindsey...


No comments:

Post a Comment