Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pick-up lines & curses

Walking around Grenada usually gives me plenty of stories to tell. My most recent experiences are definitely high up there on the most ridiculous scale.

On my way to pay rent I had my ear buds in and was jammin' to some country jams as I walked past one of the common reggae bus pick up spots. Per the usual, about 3 Grenadian reggae bus guys quickly started hollering and approaching me about a ride to St. Georges, to which I nodded "no" and murmureded "not today, thank you" and kept walking. One guy decided to further our conversation from the norm however and the conversation went like this:

Reggae guy- Hey, da sunglasses and blonde hair- they nice. They make you look like a movie staah.
Me (still walking & chuckling)- oh, why thank you
Raggae guy- Are you a movie staah? You look nice.
Me (still walking) - nope, I'm not!
Raggae guy- So you walkin, we will drive! You da movie star, it's too hot to walk!
Me (still walking and at this point past his bus so he has stopped walking with me)- It is hot, but I'm okay today, thanks!
(pause)
(pause)
(I'm still walking on and at this point think the conversation is over)

Raggae guy (yells, REALLY LOUDLY)- okay fine, but you have NICE B**BS!

Nice. I definitely just kept walking acting like I did not hear it... but I would be lying if I said I didn't crack up out loud to myself... like what?! Who just yells that down the street?! Oh man.

So then I was STILL laughing about that when I pass a man sitting on the street who points to my water and asks to have some (this is pretty common) so my typical response is to smile nicely and say something along the lines of "no, I'm sorry, not today" and keep walking. Well, again... on this particular day the conversation did NOT progress as it normally does and instead went something like this:

Guy- Miss, share yo wata (stated not exactly as a question but a mix of a question and a statement and involved a reaching for my bottle)
Me (smiles)- no, I'm sorry, not today

[**note: I assume the conversation is over and continue walking]

Guy- Girl, wata for me! I put it in my hands! (he holds out his hands- which I won't describe)
Guy (louder)- OOOH! Oooh you selfish girl, SELFISH GIRL! 

So at this point I was definitely embarrassed but since I was still walking decided to just keep going and pretend not to hear, but as I'm walking I realize he is slowly walking quite a ways behind me continuing to make his announcement of "Dis girl be selfish! SELFISH GIRL! Shame. Curse you."

... From movie star to the selfish girl in a whole 1 minute. And the best part... I got to walk by the guy who thought I was selfish AGAIN on the way back... where he AGAIN asked me for water as if the entire hoopla that took place 10 minutes prior had not happened.

Thanks for always keeping me on my toes with moments like these, Grenada! 

No comments:

Post a Comment