Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Friday Traditions

Last term Nick and his friends started a tradition of jumping of the cliff on the backside of campus every Friday after class.  They would normally go sometime around 5pm which allowed them to also watch the beautiful sunset at the same time. Talk about a great way to unwind after a week of classes and studying, and it is a chance for them to actually enjoy a bit of life on the island outside of science hall (or more commonly referred to as dry lab). When I visited last term I was able to join in the fun and it was one of my favorite things about my visit to Grenada- and I couldn't wait to do it again! Well, this Friday marked the first Friday of term 2 and I am happy to report that the tradition lives on, and now I get to be a regular participant!! :) The water was pretty rough, which added an exciting element to the whole getting out of the water part...sigh, I still can't do  it on my own (Nick has to pull me out) but I am getting closer... a few more pushups and maybe I'll be good to go... oh wait, I suck at pushups. Oh well, I think he likes helping me out anyways, it shows off how strong and manly he is ;)

It's what he looks forward to all week! A chance to let loose and unwind with friends- and it is much deserved :)
It's so fun! Just one of the many things I love about being in Grenada!
Also, to fill everyone in on our centipede (the one I found in the laundry) extravaganza... it turns out the little bugger did not drown in the washing machine after all!! I thought he was dead because I checked on him in a very OCD manner all day waiting for Nick to get home and dispose of him and he had never moved. However, when Nick got home I opened the washing machine and had a slight freakout when I notice that this time, he had moved!!!!  Luckily, he was still in the washing machine and Nick set out to get him. He wanted to reach in with just a paper towel, but thanks to our neighbor (who I had of course shared the story of the centipede with earlier in the day) I had been warned NOT to do that. I insisted he use our grilling tongs instead, and boy was he happy I had been so insistant! The little bugger was feisty and the sting from him surely would have been unpleasant. Once in the street, Nick stomped on him and we stood around enjoying our victory and then... he started to move again! Lesson learned- centipedes do not die! Don't be fooled! We did finish him off eventually and left him in the street as a warning to any other centipedes who may think they are welcome guests at our house.
It's a man's job to get the centipedes out of the washing machine.
Ps- we just got back from cliff jumping- he isn't like super sweaty or anything lol
It's aliiiiiveeee!!!! Come on--How nasty are centipedes? Yuck!
Look at those pincher/stabber things on this guy!!! That sting would hurt just a bit... Yikes, scare me!


No comments:

Post a Comment