Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Time flies when you are havin' fun!

Hard to believe we have already been here one month! Well, I guess I should say I have officially been here 1 month! Time has passed surprisingly quickly and I stay much more busy than I expected. Nick's school schedule is really picking up, and he has had been really busy with Surgery club and Emergency medicine club lately as well. In addition, he is considering getting involved in research at SGU and is looking into a selective in Kenya at the end of the semester. I think he should take on a few more things don't you? He's such a go-getter, and I am very proud! Kenya would be a really unique and exciting opportunity and definitely be a resume builder, so I'll definitely keep ya'll posted on whether he decides to do that or not! Oh, and I don't think I mentioned before that he did great on his first 2 finals with A's in both classes! Great start to Term 2 :)

As for me, my heart continues to be stolen by the children at Limes every week. It really makes me happy that I went into social work, because this experience has opened my eyes even more to the toll poverty can have a children and their families and how much need there is in the world. It's so rewarding knowing that I went to school for 5.5 years for something I really am truly passionate about. Speaking of which, I am also (somewhat) studying for my licensing exam.  I am hoping to take it in May. In all honesty, I really need to put a little more effort into studying though. Oops. I've also been babysitting a few times a week, which has brought in a little bit of spending money. Oliver is full of energy so it doubles as an excellent workout for me as well! Yesterday, I raced him up and down the street with him on his bike and me riding one of those little scooter things. Needless to say, I haven't beaten him yet, and I'm always huffing and puffing by the time I cross the finish line, just to be asked in his innocent little voice, "Why aren't you trying to win?" Sigh. So, we ran into Nick in front of our house about to go for a jog, and so I recruited him to race Oliver instead ;) Oliver loved it and Nick got to do hardcore sprints instead of going for a jog... that sounds like a win all around to me! 

So I'll leave you with a few pictures because what's a blog post without pictures right? Many of the Limes pictures below were taken by other SOs :) Such beautiful moments with wonderful volunteers and precious children! 



We had a BBQ at our house and took a walk to the peak to watch the sunset! 
The Friday tradition of cliff jumping has continued every week so far this term :) This week we jumped during this absolutely beautiful sunset. Grenada continues to amaze me <3
Oh, and purchased my plane ticket home yesterday!! I will officially be home for 2 months at the end of April! Looking forward to spending quality time with family and friends for sure :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment