Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mr. Nick visits Limes

Today Nick came with me to the Limes After School Program for the first time, and I am so glad he did! He finally got a glimpse of what it is I do during the week and got to see how and why these kids were able to steal my heart so quickly.

I warned him before we left that I haven’t over exaggerated stories and that Limes really is chaotic even on the best days, but I think even still he underestimated what goes into being a volunteer at Limes.  Until you experience having 3-5 kids hanging on you at once, and the constant yelling of “Miss” “Miss” “Miss”, and have attempted to break up a fight while continuing a game with 10 + other kids- you cannot fully understand or appreciate Limes.  You can’t understand what makes it challenging, but even more so, you can’t understand what makes it so wonderful, heartwarming, and all in the same breath- heartbreaking.

My heart  melted watching Nick play with all the kids, both big and little.  There’s pretty much nothing cuter in the world than seeing your guy with a buncha kids! He embraced their craziness, and let them treat him like a human jungle gym.  And I loved every minute of it- and think he did too.

Most of the volunteers at Limes are girls, so when a boy comes along, it is so exciting for the kids.  The boys love having someone they can rough house with a little more and who they can be competitive with in sports- not that this doesn’t happen with us gals- but with guys it is just different, and in their eyes, better.  And the girls, oh the girls swoon. I don’t think we had been there 5 minutes when a group of the girls called me over and all giggly asked me “Miss who is that?” When I told him it was my boyfriend Nick- they erupted with laughter and giddy-ness. 

Going to medical school in Grenada is an experience all on it’s own with its own challenges. Walking down the street you see the poverty- you do not need to go looking for it. But I think when you are able to immerse yourself in the community and get to know the children of the community you really get to see Grenada in a whole new light. You see how their lives are so greatly affected, and poverty is no longer just a name, but it is given a face. No, it is given many faces, children’s faces- they are the faces of the kids you hug, laugh with, tickle, and play games with. It’s the faces of kids who just want attention so badly.

Nick has only come once so far, and hopefully he will come more when his schedule allows it, but I think now he can understand why these kids mean so much to me, and why they are so easy to love. I know I sure loved watching him love on these kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment