Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

They tug at your heart strings

To not have enough to eat, or to know you may not eat tomorrow is something I personally know nothing about. I've never been hungry and had literally nothing in my fridge or cabinet, or been without some money to buy something. And even though I know that for many of the kids here (and all over the world) that is their reality, it  never gets easier to hear about-  and it definitely doesn't get easier to look into the eyes of a boy who has come to you to tell you he will be hungry tomorrow.  A boy with a bright smile and wonderful manners, who you play with day after day. It is heartbreaking. And what can you do? Thoughts go through your head- you're mad, and sad, frustrated and angry that this is reality. And it is standing right in front of you. There is nothing we can do to fix this problem, and there is always that question of who do you help, because we cannot possibly help them all.  There is also that lingering question of whether he is telling the truth or trying to pull a fast one over on us... either option is possible. But what if it is true, how do you walk away? I couldn't. And I've never seen anyone do a happy dance for a couple loaves of bread and peanut butter before.

There is so much beauty in the world, but so much ugly as well. Poverty is ugly. It makes me stop and think about how extremely lucky I am, but also makes me feel helpless because there is only so much I can do, and even then, I am left wondering if it is enough and hoping the food simply makes it home to them without being snatched up by someone else- who probably needs it just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment