Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

A ride and a box of double stuffed oreos

I wouldn't say homesickness is typically a problem I encounter while in Grenada.
Technology is awesome and makes the distance seem much smaller- and I still talk to family and close friends multiple times a week.
There are days when I miss things and convenience, but for the most part I have learned I don't care much about stuff and I can live without those things.

But every now and then there is a day when the heat is annoying, sweating constantly is enough to have me admitted to a mental institution, the crappy internet connection is infuriating, and the thought of cooking another meal or cleaning another dish by hand could make me cry.

Today, may or may not have been one of those days.

And then I went grocery shopping. The mile walk was a million times more annoying than usual.
Seriously, stop honking, I don't want to get in your stupid bus. 
Really? You think whistling or making kissing noises out the window will make me think you are cool?
Is the sun always this damn hot?
Gah sweat is literally dripping in my eyes.
Crap, I forgot my shopping list.... think Lindsey think.. what was on that list... STOP HONKING... 
Am I walking slower than normal? Why is this taking so long?
Yes, I know you are selling mangos and grapefruit, I see you several times a week, but no, not today.

You get the picture. I was very pleasant...

But then, I ran into friends at the store and they offered me a ride home. I am usually perfectly fine riding the bus usually feel bad making people treck me out to the end of Lance Aux Epines, but today they insisted... and man, was I grateful!

And then another awesome thing happened... Grenada decided to throw me a bone and win me back... on the shelf hiding behind the nasty cookies was a package of double stuffed oreos!!!! It was like the sky opened, angels started singing, rainbows appeared and skittles fell from the sky. The island has not had double stuffed oreos since middle of 2nd term, and I had been wanting them SO bad. I rarely have snacks here, they are too expensive, but I had been checking the cookie aisle every shopping trip just to be let down that yet again, no oreo cookie shipment.

Today, I spent a good chunk of the day pretending I lived in Antarctica and was laying face down in the snow and then was pulled out of my funk by 2 things I hadn't even necessarily known I needed- nice and caring friends and a box of double stuffed oreos...

It is the small things in life and Grenada has indeed made me beyond thankful for all those small and wonderful little blessings that appear right when you need them in every day life <3

No comments:

Post a Comment