Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

“Happiness does not come from doing easy work, but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded your best.” - Theodore Rubin

I’ve come to realize that these next 5 months are going to be filled with many lessons and opportunities to grow. Challenges and hard times that knock us on our butt are the times in which we learn so much about ourselves and that define us. That being said, it isn’t about how many times we fall or get knocked down, but about how we are able to get back on our feet, and push forward, and overcome.
This past week has been hard. Really hard. And in the past week, I have had more moments of weakness than can be counted on my fingers and my toes. However, even still, I have to say… I think I have done pretty well. Sounds funny right? To say I’ve complained, felt sorry for myself, gotten upset and jealous over what most would consider “something silly”… and yet, yes, I think I’ve done pretty damn well!
Here’s the thing. Despite all of that, I’ve gone to work, gone out to the bar, had movie nights with Lo, went shopping, finalized stuff for my last semester of school, done laundry, and well.. you get the point. Through it all, I have kept living, laughing, and pushing forward. I’ve had family and friends to lean on and entertain myself with, and over all I have found I am stronger than I thought. My best friend is in a different country. He’s the one I lean on and who gets me through the hard times normally. But, this past week, I haven’t been able to call him. We only talk when he is at his computer and even then, usually people are around and I am on speaker phone due to talking over the computer. So, yes, Nick knew I was upset many times, he saw me struggling, but reality is… right now, I have to get through a lot of this without his immediate support. And even still, here I am… doing just fine and learning a lot about myself. And.. actually, I am adjusting a bit, and hey… we are just about 1 week in, so it’s not like time is standing still! :)
Don’t get me wrong, I will be ecstatic when this long distance thing is over and I can have my rock and main man back. I love that I need him and I love that he is always there for me. As much as I am still struggling with the adjustment to less communication, I am thankful for all Nick has done to stay in contact with me the best that he can.  Also, I am sure this will come as a huge surprise to all, but Mr. Social has made many new friends already. I am glad he got to enjoy the past week because school is about to start and I think life on the island may get a little more stressful than beaches, scuba, and rum punch!!
Here are a few pics from his first week of adventures in Grenada! Isn’t he cute? And obviously, totally miserable there so far… psh, he’s lovin’ it! And as for the island… it’s breathtaking! Can’t freakin’ wait to visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment