Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Remembering the bigger picture

As we speak, I am watching and (semi) helping Nick pack up the rest of his stuff. He has a plan, a method to his madness, and I just wait to be told how I can be helpful and play DJ in attempt to keep the mood light when all that is on our minds is his 3:30 pm flight tomorrow. TOMORROW. TO-MARR-OW. Yeah, no matter how it is said, it doesn’t sound any better and still stings a lot. It’s unreal really, the big day is finally here and 2 years in Grenada is officially beginning. His bags are almost packed full of his clothes, belongings, electronics, pillows… everything he needs for the next 5 months to 2 years. Someone pinch me.

To kick off our last day together we went to church at Orchard Lake St Marys. It was exactly what I needed. The mass, the homily, the songs, all hit home and gave a message and the comfort that I needed- more than I even realized. Throughout the mass, a common theme arose and I couldn’t help feeling like it was directed at me. Nick has ranted and raved about how awesome Fr. Tim’s homilies are, but until today I had not yet experienced one… and it could not have come at a better time (and yes, it was awesome and perfect.) During his homily, Fr. Tim spoke about how hectic, overwhelming, chaotic and unpredictable life can be sometimes. And how, sometimes, it is so easy to get caught up in everything that is going on and to forget what is really important. That it is easy to be a person of prayer when things are going well for us, but yet it is so easy to lose faith when things get hard. As Fr. Tim put it, we have to “keep our eyes on Jesus.” Now, that does not sound like something I would normally say or write about, but it fits my life right now. Nick leaving is really hard on me and it really helped me to refocus on the bigger picture. I know 5 months is not THAT long, but still, it is a big deal to me. That being said, it is important for me not to get caught up in the time that we are apart and rather to focus on how exciting of a time this is for Nick and what a big step it is for him. Obviously, I have realized that all along, but it was a good reminder and a reality check that I needed. I am so blessed to have such an amazing man, and I wouldn’t change him going away to Grenada for the world. We need good Doctors and Nick will without a doubt be a great Doctor and being apart for 5 months is a small price to pay for that :)

Okay, time to stop blogging and help him finish packing up his stuff. Sighhh.. So all that stuff about being strong and looking at the bigger picture… yeah… I’ll that attitude starts Tuesday or Wednesday. For now, my heart is breaking and if you hear of a security breach at the airport.. no worries it was just me running through the airport to tackle him and keep here a few extra hours, minutes, or seconds.

Best of luck Nicholas! We all love you very, very much! Safe travels and kick some major medical school butt! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment