Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fish Friday

So Fish Friday in Grenada... I am not even sure where to start!

I guess we can start with the fact that I have heard stories about Fish Friday from Nick for the past 2 months. He's gone twice already, once they took a taxi and once they took a catamaran. Both times he told me about how much fun he had and how GREAT the food is. So that was exactly what I was expecting.

Let me just say... I would not classify the food as great by any means. It was like carnival food, only made with fish. I was absolutely starving  and had such high hopes, that I was 100% disappointed. Also, with it being parents weekend, there was people absolutely everywhere and it was just madness.

This is not to say it wasn't good for some laughs and definitely an experience. If I had had a full stomach, I am sure I would have been a bit more positive... but hey, live and learn. Next time I'll eat a full meal before going.

SO we took a catamaran there, and it was so relaxing and beautiful! I just sat back and watched the stars and was so relaxed I actually thought I was going to fall asleep. I really wanted to see my first shooting star, but sadly, I did not. Anyways, so we pull up to the beach where the catamaran was dropping us off and it turned out that it was not really a beach after all but more like people's backyard. So that was surprise #1. 

We get off the boat and are met by Grenadian military all dressed in uniform waiting to walk us to Fish Friday. Nice. In order to get there you first walk down this tiny ally that smells strongly of urine. It is dark and narrow and if we are being honest, really just pretty eerie.  Then when you come out of the ally you are on a main street. Much better right? So you can let out a deep breath and think to yourself, okay this isn't so bad.

... well, not so fast. Walking through the little town really just makes you realize that while Grenada is such a gorgeous place, that it really is poverty stricken. The houses are falling apart, and it seemed like the thing to do that night was to sit out on your front porch and watch all the students and tourists walk by. It was awkward. It really made me feel uncomfortable to be basically parading down the street while all the locals watched. It also highlighted the division between Grenadians and us... or at least that is what I felt like.

But anyways, once you get to Fish Friday there are a bunch of tents set up and locals are cooking food. You can hop from one to another trying all different sorts of food. Again, the food is not up my ally, but many people seemed to enjoy it and you really do get a taste for life in Grenada and a feel for their culture.

I am also still not used to being a blonde in a place where being blonde is definitely not "more fun" but rather definitely somewhat of a disadvantage. Having blonde hair is a sure tell sign that I am an visiting and attracts a great deal of attention.  Girls in general there get a lot of attention, but if you have blonde hair you just really, and I mean really, stick out.

The most humorous part of the night had to be getting back on the catamaran. The waves were really intense and people were hopping on 2 at a time. So I look at Nick and tell him "see what they are doing, don't go until I can follow you." He says okay, but the next thing I know he is running toward the boat... sooo I follow. Well it was a disaster. Nick gets on the ladder and as I begin to BAM a wave hits. I am covered in water and floating back in toward shore, when two big arms reach down and yank me up! My feet literally never touched the ladder, I was completely drenched from my neck to my toes, but luckily the guys helping us on the boat were strong and able to just pull me up. So I am finally on the boat when Nick turns around with a simple "ooooh... did you get wet?" No darling, not at all.... 

SO even though at first I said that was my first and last trip to Fish Friday, I think I may give it another go.. we'll see. But if you really want to get to know the culture of Grenada, then Fish Friday would be a good place to go and experience it.



No comments:

Post a Comment