Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

More updates on Grenada! Can't believe I've been here a week!

I love Grenada. I love being with my boyfriend. I love how different being here is from the states. I love the challenges that will be associated with living here. I said it before, but since being here I now know it is true more than ever... this is an adventure that absolutely changes a person. It is an adventure that is going to bring about growth, that will make us stronger as a couple, stronger and more well-rounded individuals, and allow me the opportunity to help children and youth who really need it. You really can't put a price tag on that kind of experience.

Yes, there will absolutely be times that I am homesick. Yes, there will be a lot of stepping outside my comfort zone. Yes, I am sure there will be times when I want nothing more than to be in the United States where life is a bit easier and what I am used to, and yes, I will have a ridiculously busy boyfriend and be on my own a lot. I know all of this, but it is those things that  make this the experience that it is :)

I did not have any expectations heading into this trip and I honestly had no idea what to expect, but still... it was so different than anything I could have imagined.

There is the campus that is really nice, but then there are so many other areas that show obvious signs of being a third world country. Riding the buses is hilarious and an adventure every time. The "bus stops" are not marked, you just learn that a certain tree, bench, or the that the Texico station are places that the bus stops at. Then there are the Raggae (most likely that is spelled incorrectly) buses that fly around and one person drives and one person sits in the back and jumps out randomly to see if people need rides.  Seriously, it is quite a sight to see! Also, honking... goodness do Grenadians like to use their horns! A honk can say "get out of the way" or "hello" or warn another driver about the road ahead, or if you are a girl the number of honks can let you know just how cute that driver thought you were. Oh, the honking.

The longer I am here, the more excited I am about getting involved with the many volunteer organizations that are down here. It all seems very much so up my ally as it is mostly aimed at the children and youth of Grenada. Give me those cute babies!

Also, I got to jump off the cliff that Nick jumps off every week! It was so fun!! It is not a bad jump either, probably 12-15 feet in the air, so you actually have time to realize you are falling! I absolutely loved it. Getting into the water however was easy- one jump and there ya go. Getting OUT of the water was a completely different story. You have to climb up on the rocks while the waves are basically crashing into you... trust me, it is hard. The bottom line is, I need to work on my upper body strength because this girl could not get out of the water. After several attempts and scrapping my leg on the rock a few times, Nick came to my rescue. Oh, the benefits of a strong boyfriend to save you and pull you out of the water... just so you can go up and jump again!! Yay fun!




Not too shabby of a view eh? Grenada sunsets are breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment